Important Safety and Legal Requirements

Gas Safety

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 say landlords must ensure that gas appliances, fittings and flues are safe for tenant’s use and that installation, maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a technician registered with the Gas Safety Register (which superseded CORGI on 1st April 2009).

Electrical Safety

While there isn’t a legal obligation on landlords to have professional checks carried out on the electrical appliances, there is, however, an obligation to ensure that all electrical equipment is safe, under the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, the Plugs and Sockets Regulations 1994, the 2005 Building Regulation – Part P, and the British Standard BS1363 relating to plugs and sockets.

Fire Safety

The Landlords agree that it is their responsibility to ensure that the property meets all the health and Safety Regulations in regards to the fixture, fittings, appliances and all service suppliers such as gas and electricity. The Landlord undertakes to take all the necessary steps to ensure compliance with all the relevant statutory undertakings and guarantees that he has complied with his statutory obligations arising under Furniture & Furnishings (Fire)(Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989 and 1993), General Product Safety Regulations 1994, Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, Plugs & Sockets (Safety) Regulations 1994 that the Property is made available for letting in a safe condition and in compliance with the above regulations.

Smoke Alarms & Carbon Monoxide

All properties built since June 1992 must have interlinked mains-connected smoke detectors/alarms on each floor of the property. Smoke alarms must be checked regularly to ensure that they are in full working order. A carbon monoxide detector should also be supplied.

Energy Performance Certificate

With effect from 1st October 2008, all new tenancies require an Energy Performance Certificate. The certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home’s energy efficiency to save money and help the environment.

Houses in Multiple Occupancy

If a landlord wishes to rent their property to multiple occupants, it may mean that a license is required before the property can be legally rented.

The Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme

Under the provisions of the Housing Act 2004 every landlord or letting agent that takes a deposit for an Assured Short-hold Tenancy in England and Wales must join a Tenancy Deposit Scheme.